User login

Home

Feed aggregator

Derby County v Wigan Athletic

BBC Manchester - 3 hours 31 min ago
Preview followed by live coverage of Wednesday's Championship game between Derby County and Wigan Athletic.
Categories: Manchester

Moves to prevent overnight camping on roads in Newquay are out for consultation

Cornwall Council News feed - 3 hours 35 min ago

A move to address concerns from residents about people camping in vans and vehicles on Trenance Lane and Trevemper Road in Newquay are out for consultation until the end of the month.

The proposed restrictions are designed to prevent overnight camping on Trenance Lane and Trevemper Road.  Campervans, motor homes and vans which have been adapted for sleeping will be prohibited from parking between midnight and 9am.

Other vehicles which have not been adapted for sleeping in are not affected by the proposals.

Parking on Trenance Lane has been a growing issue for a number of years with people camping up in their vans for long periods of time. This causes upset for local residents as well as taking up valuable car parking spaces for people visiting local amenities and businesses.  We’re also proposing to introduce a similar restriction on Trevemper Road so that the issue is not just moved to another location.

Local Cornwall Councillor Olly Monk has been gathering the views of residents to identify a possible solution and now a formal consultation is being held so that all views can be taken into consideration before a decision on the best way forward is taken.

Cllr Monk says “I welcome this proposal as a solution to address long standing concerns from residents regarding camping in vehicles.  I encourage people to respond to the consultation.”

Residents in other areas of Newquay have already agreed a similar course of action and taken steps to discourage camper vans and overnight sleepers.  This proposal to introduce similar restrictions on Trenance Lane and Trevemper Road will, if supported, stop the practice in this area of Newquay too.

Having previously been raised by the multi-agency Newquay Safe partnership the proposal has been backed by the Newquay & St Columb Community Network Panel who have agreed to fund the scheme, if it is adopted, as part of its Community Networks Highways Scheme.

The consultation also asks for views on the proposal that the temporary 30mph speed limit introduced on the road outside of the new school at Nansledan is made permanent.

In addition, School Keep Clear markings will be installed at the new school entrance to ensure that parked vehicles do not restrict the flow of traffic into the dedicated “drop off zone” within the school site.

Cornwall Council cabinet portfolio holder for transport Geoff Brown said: “We want to hear from residents how they feel about these proposals so please do make sure you take part in the consultation.”

The consultation runs until 30 October.  To ensure your views are logged, please follow the link to the consultation.

 

Story posted 22 October 2019

Categories: Cornwall

Thames flood defence scheme secures £270m boost

BBC London News Feed - 3 hours 38 min ago
The planned scheme, which aims to protect thousands of homes, is awarded £270m from Surrey Council.

Fulham v Luton Town

BBC Beds Bucks Herts - 3 hours 48 min ago
Preview followed by live coverage of Wednesday's Championship game between Fulham and Luton Town.

Katie Jarvis: Ex-EastEnders actress felt 'degraded' by job-shaming story

BBC London News Feed - 3 hours 50 min ago
Soap stars defended Katie Jarvis after a paper splashed her shop security guard job on the front page.

Council meetings for November

Hartlepool Council - 4 hours 4 min ago
The following Hartlepool Council meetings are scheduled for November.
Categories: Hartlepool

Local community will shape Langarth Garden Village plans

Cornwall Council News feed - 4 hours 8 min ago

A place with great indoor and outdoor spaces where community initiatives can take root and flourish. Truly affordable and well insulated zero carbon homes for local people which are cheap to heat and run. Wide open spaces with trees and wildlife and recreational and play equipment for all ages. Sustainable transport with affordable electric bus services and walking and cycling routes…..these are just some of the positive ideas put forward by people taking part in the listening events held in and around the location of the new Langarth Garden Village.

Cornwall Council is determined to ensure that the development of the proposed Garden Village is shaped by the local community. The last two weeks saw the launch of the first in a series of community engagement events where local residents are being invited to come and talk to members of the masterplanning team and share their ideas, aspirations and concerns for the site.

The first four drop in sessions were held in St Agnes, Highertown, Threemilestone and Chacewater Village Hall with another taking place at Shortlanesend Village Hall between 2pm and 7pm on Friday, 25 October.

As well as talking to members of the masterplanning team, local residents were also invited to complete a questionnaire setting out their views on the emerging scheme.  An online version of the questionnaire is also available on the Council’s website.

 “It was great to see so many people take the opportunity to attend the engagement events “ said Councillor Bob Egerton, Cornwall Council cabinet portfolio holder for Culture, Planning and Economy  “We want the masterplanning of Langarth Garden Village to be shaped by the community and I would encourage people living in and around Shortlanesend to come along to the event taking place later this week.”

 “We will be staging further engagement events over the coming months but in the meantime anyone who has been unable to attend this round of events can fill in the online questionnaire or email the team at LangarthGV@cornwall.gov.uk  with any queries or comments”.

The feedback from the public engagement events and the questionnaire, together with the views of key stakeholders, will inform ongoing master-plan thinking, most immediately three options for the proposed Garden Village site. 

Details of these options will be published in early November with further public engagement events in Threemilestone on 08 November and in Truro on 15 November. Feedback from these events, plus that from stakeholder working groups, forums, workshops and meetings, will go on to inform a preferred Masterplan option in early 2020.

This preferred option is due to be considered by the Council’s Cabinet  in February.  A formal application for outline planning permission will then be submitted to the Council in the spring. 

Local residents attending the engagement events welcomed the opportunity to put forward their views on the scheme. While some wanted the site to be left as a green area, the majority of people recognised that the existing planning permissions meant that development would inevitably take place. They welcomed the Council’s decision to intervene and work with the local community to create a vibrant and distinctive new community at Langarth.

Some raised concerns over the potential impact of the development on the existing roads into Truro, and increased pressures on health and education facilities. Others emphasised the importance of providing well designed affordable homes for local people, including shared ownership houses and accommodation for key workers; work spaces for small and medium sized businesses, green areas, with allotments, wild flower meadows and community orchards, as well as walking and cycling routes and general community open spaces.

Many welcomed the Council’s commitment to providing key infrastructure, such as the new Northern Access Road, improved public transport links, a new primary school, effective water and drainage systems, and additional health and dental services at the start of the project rather than at the end when all the housing had been built.

“We will be taking all these views on board as we continue to develop the masterplan “ said Bob Egerton.  “We are working with partners and developers to ensure that the scheme connects with existing settlements, as well as with existing and planned retail developments in the rest of Truro.

“We recognise the concerns which have been expressed by people living in Threemilestone at the potential impact on their village.  We have agreed to invest in key community facilities as part of the overall project and are working closely with Kenwyn Parish Council and the local Cornwall Councillors to identify potential projects”.

 

Story posted 22 October 2019

Categories: Cornwall

Illicit cigarettes smuggled into UK in toy boxes

BBC Berkshire - 4 hours 17 min ago
Three family members are sentenced for evasion of excise duty after millions of cigarettes are found.
Categories: Berkshire

Daniel Adger murder: Second man jailed for Ockendon killing

BBC Essex - 4 hours 26 min ago
Daniel Boakye is the second person jailed for killing father-of-two Daniel Adger.
Categories: Essex

Additional £7.8m cash boost to reduce flood risk in Par and St. Blazey

Cornwall Council News feed - 4 hours 45 min ago

   

Residents in Par and St Blazey are to benefit from a major flood prevention scheme which has received a £7.8m cash injection today, bringing the total flood alleviation investment in the area to £32m.

The Environment Agency and Cornwall Council, with support from the University of Exeter and Westcountry Rivers Trust, are finalising the St Austell Bay Resilient Regeneration (StARR) project to reduce the risk of flooding to the communities of Par and St Blazey.

The England European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) has awarded £7.8m to the project as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme 2014-2020.

The project includes a number of different schemes to reduce the risk of flooding from various sources, such as surface water, river flooding and tidal flooding.

Plans include reconnecting river floodplains, tree planting, water storage features, highway improvements and works to the existing infrastructure along Par River and Treffry Canal.

The latest ERDF funds complement additional funding already secured for the project meaning that approximately £32m of investment has now been secured for flood mitigation schemes in the area.

After declaring a climate emergency earlier this year, this programme forms a key element of Cornwall Council’s climate change action plan for managing flood risk and adapting to an already changed climate

Rob Nolan, Cornwall’s Cabinet Member for the Environment and Public Protection, said: “We are delighted to receive this significant investment for the StARR project which will benefit the whole St Austell Bay community by improving flood resilience for homes, businesses, community facilities and transport links, making the area a better place to live and work.

“Damaging floods occur in Par and St Blazey every few years and with climate change impacts such as sea levels rising and more intense rainfall, the risk of flooding is going to increase.

“By applying the best scientific knowledge and techniques we will be leading the way with the StARR project which will serve as a national pilot demonstrating the whole catchment approach to reducing flood risk. This is another way we are working to combat the climate emergency.”   

Final designs are now being drawn up and residents are encouraged to comment formally on the scheme proposals via the planning application process which is expected to take place from autumn.

A public information event featuring design proposals was held recently at St Blazey Football Club. Nearly 200 local residents attended to find out about the latest plans to reduce flood risk to the area.

Additional funding for the StARR project is being provided by a variety of sources including DEFRA Growth funds, Flood Defence Grant in Aid, South West Water, the Environment Agency and Cornwall Council.

Pauline Giles, Cornwall Councillor for St Blazey, said: "This is very welcome news for my residents. Having lived all my life here, I have seen firsthand the damage and destruction past flooding has created.

"I’m sure my residents will be grateful to know, that their properties will be safe from flooding in the future."

Jordan Rowse, Cornwall Councillor for Par, Biscovey and St Blazey Gate, said: “This is fantastic news and this cash injection will make a huge difference. Cornwall Council has been working hard for a number of years now to turn ambitious plans into a reality.

"This project will make a huge difference in Par and St Blazey, ameliorating the flooding which so often blights our community. Now that a significant amount of funding has been secured, we can focus on delivering the project and turning the area into a thriving, flood resilient community.”

Matt Healey, Fisheries Officer and StARR lead at Westcountry Rivers Trust, said: “We welcome the additional funding from ERDF to support our role in the StARR project. The funding allows us to engage with all landowners in the Par catchment and seek innovative ways to contribute to flood alleviation and habitat improvements utilising natural capital. We look forward to working in partnership with the Environment Agency, Cornwall Council and University of Exeter in delivering the project.”

The project is receiving £7.8 million of funding from the England European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme 2014-2020.  The Ministry for Housing Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) is the Managing Authority for ERDF. Established by the European Union ERDF funds help local areas stimulate their economic development by investing in projects which will support innovation, businesses, create jobs and local community regenerations.  

You can find the latest scheme announcements by following Twitter @EnvAgencySW or @CornwallCouncil or by visiting the StARR project website.

Categories: Cornwall

By-election in Daventry's Abbey North Ward this week (21-10-19)

Daventry Council News Feed - 4 hours 45 min ago
Residents in Daventry Abbey North Ward will go to the polls this week to elect a Daventry District Councillor.
Categories: Daventry

Russell Bowry death: Studio rigger's death was accident

BBC Beds Bucks Herts - 4 hours 48 min ago
Russell Bowry died from his injuries after a fall at Cardington Studios.

Wanted - Nathan Booth

Lincolnshire Police RSS News Feed - 4 hours 52 min ago
Update: Nathan Booth was arrested yesterday (October 21).
Categories: Lincolnshire

Cornwall Council calls for fair funding to help tackle the causes of social deprivation

Cornwall Council News feed - 4 hours 54 min ago

Cornwall Council is standing up for all its residents by calling on Government for its fair share of funding after levels of deprivation and inequality across the region were highlighted in a new report.

Camborne Pengegon, Penzance Treneere, and Redruth North - including the Close Hill, Strawberry Fields and Treleigh areas - have the highest levels of overall deprivation, according to the Government report.

The previous report, published in 2015 showed that Cornwall had an Index of Multiple Deprivation (IMD) ranking of 68 out of 326.

This year, Cornwall’s IMD ranking is currently 83 out of 317, with 17 Cornish neighbourhoods in the top 10 per cent of most deprived areas in England.

While the data showed that Cornwall was ‘generally improving’ in terms of becoming less deprived, Adam Paynter, Deputy Leader of Cornwall Council stressed that “there is no room for any complacency”.

He said: “As a council, we are committed to tackling the causes of social deprivation in Cornwall, protecting vital frontline services for our most vulnerable residents, raising aspirations for our young people, and directly investing in affordable homes and jobs that people in Cornwall need.

“We are doing this at a time of unprecedented financial uncertainty and against the backdrop of a growing inequality gap in funding across the country.”

Between 2010 and 2020, Cornwall Council will have lost almost 60p out of every £1 provided by the Government for services.

Councillor Paynter added: “As we have highlighted in the past, this deep reduction in government funding, along with unequal funding across rural and urban areas, and an ongoing surge in demand for crucial services, is putting a huge strain on us and other local authorities across the county. It is stretching funds that simply don’t exist.

“That is why we are standing up for all our residents by calling on Government to redress a systematic bias against rural and coastal areas. We are disappointed that central Government have delayed the fair funding review until next year.”

 

Posted on 2 October 2019

Categories: Cornwall

Lords committee questions academics on the fundamental aspects of the ageing process

Parliament News - 4 hours 58 min ago
Lords Science and Technology Committee takes evidence on Tuesday 22 October at 10.25am
Categories: Parliamentary News

Committee again considers position of UK citizens in EU post-Brexit

Parliament News - 4 hours 58 min ago
EU Justice Sub-Committee takes evidence on Tuesday 22 October at 10.45am
Categories: Parliamentary News

Anthony Crolla to fight Frank Urquiaga in Manchester before retiring

BBC Manchester - 5 hours 4 min ago
Britain's Anthony Crolla will fight Frank Urquiaga for the WBA Continental Lightweight title on 2 November - his final bout before retiring.
Categories: Manchester

Maryport teenager helping vulnerable children

Cumbria BBC News Feed - 5 hours 10 min ago
Jamie-Lea Wright has been recognised with a Diana award for her work helping children in care.
Categories: Cumbria